Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Yesteryear


There’s something strange within
my head beyond familiar sheen.
So scarcely can I banish remnants,
chanting words that weighty lean.

Limping with indecency and dusty
from misuse, the actions passed
leer wickedly across the yard,
running loose.

Haggard fronts they flaunt smeared thick
to outshine hidden lairs;
curdled by the dreams that died
in well-worn rocking chairs.

Impatient petticoats combust
before a crowd of hesitations,
beneath whose lace haste’s scent
leaves room for foul imaginations.

Cheers are muffled by the sound
of rusty wheels on rock, while
brocade land mines frame my pain  
and weave their spell of talk.

Here I sit and bate dismay
and lure in thoughts of doubt,
but soon I’ll up and trot away
in search of different route…


Jennifer Burnside

No comments:

Post a Comment