Saturday, September 10, 2011

Farewell

It is not that I feel mere sadness,
but more, a subtle sinking sense
of energy and of hope.
Maybe because I was

unprepared to say farewell,
maybe because the day was grey
and tonight’s gentle sunset
escaped my weary notice.

I don’t know what this silence
is doing for my sanity, save for
creating circles of uncertainty.
This is where questions of why

drive gaping holes
through my ever-searching mind,
and press in from all sides
with such comfortless force.

When all I wish is to be warm,
an icy breeze plays daydreams
across my anxious heart,
reminding me to let things go.

I loathe the sight of a departing back,
fading into distance, pacing the pain.
Retreating footsteps taste harshly bitter
like juice in a cup left from yesterday.

A slender moment weighs next to nothing
in comparison to the memories it stirs up
and slowly simmers on high to attain
an opaque sludge of eternal melancholy.

I thought that this kind of thinking
would bring me down all night.
But now I realize that it’s all right
to feel a twinge of disappointment

when it’s time to say good-bye.


Jennifer Burnside

No comments:

Post a Comment