Speaking
of voices, I swallowed a voice,
once
mild and merry, laughing and singing.
I didn’t
detect the subtle undertones,
and clashing
overtones; it’s irony of intent.
This
voice knew not the theory of music;
a scale
or chord. It merely mocked.
And
I choked as it went down.
I
chased it with salt water.
I gargled
the notes, swishing them about
in
my throat. And the voice sank in.
It
planted its anchor, docked to shore,
and like
a pestilence, settled down to breed.
But
the voice is not welcome.
Blindly,
it has turned upon itself.
It
is disconnected and hangs glumly
by a
thread- a mere strand of tone.
Without
melody, forgetting words,
the voice
is all washed up. Ragged.
It
loses face, becoming dryly airborne,
and through
self consumption, dissipates.
Wednesday, December 24, 2014
Juices Flowing
Jennifer Burnside
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment